MARINE CONSERVATION PROJECT, MOZAMBIQUE
AA community development and wildlife research organization was Founded in 2004. Combining internships/volunteer work in social development, conservation and education with adventure tours. The AA marine conservation projects tackle both ecosystem and species level conservation issues within marine reserves and areas of important biodiversity in Mozambique. It involves hands-on data collection and research collected through various scientific methodologies. Field data is gathered on species including whale sharks, humpback whales, dolphins, turtles, fish species and coral reefs and other marine biodiversity.
Project duration: Ongoing
Minimum length of stay: 2 weeks
Starting period: Flexible
Number of students: 1-10
– Marine Biology – Biology – Animal studies
– Ecology – Conservation – Research
– Environmental – Nature – Zoology
The project is run by AA and involves collaboration with the a professional dive center, a Marine Lab and Dolphin Encounters based in Mozambique as well as the Global Whale Shark Database and a number of international marine research bodies. AA has different projects in the Inhambane region in Mozambique, but you will be accommodated at a beautiful lodge at the ocean where the head office is also located. The lodge is in a perfect location, nestled at the top of the sand dunes overlooking the spectacular Bay.
Goal: Make recommendations based on field research and data collection to improve the conservation of marine life, as well as creating general awareness about the marine environment.
Role of the intern:
Aiming for skills transfer next to leaving behind materials and methods that can be used in terms of sustainability.
Snorkeling with the world’s largest fish – whale sharks Learning about the diverse species and mega fauna, and contributing to their conservation Learning to dive and experiencing the magic of the underwater world Observing the migration of magnificent hump back whales and manta rays Gaining hands-on experience of marine research techniques and analysis Biodiversity data gathering and monitoring of dolphins, turtles, fish species and coral reefs Visit to a Mozambican Cultural Village and learn about Mozambique’s rich culture
*It’s nature so sightings of these animals are never guaranteed!
Supervision: By intern project coordinators who are experts in their fields which ensures the intern experience is valuable. Degree Masters depending on field. Workspace for intern: There is an office and in the field within the conservation areas
Services provided at the diving centre: » PADI and CMAS qualified staff » 12L tank dives
» 20 dive sites to choose from » 16-seater rubber-deck vessel
Let’s Go Africa offers 3 packages; 1 volunteer package, Internship Marine research and Internship dive master (on request):
- Suitable project with project description according to all criteria
- Pre-departure introduction & safety meeting
- Visa application (and extension) assistance + flight booking assistance
- Airport transfers from Inhambane by organization staff member
- Extensive introduction regarding country, project and your role
- Accommodation in an international volunteer chalet at the lodge
- 3 meals a day
- Dive qualification, internationally recognized
- Research dives and ocean safari’s
- Gathering field data on whale sharks, whales, rays, coral reefs and conservation
- Local project related transport
- Office work space with all necessary facilities such as free Wi-Fi
- Experienced and qualified scientist as supervisor and contact person
- Support and guidance from the moment of registration until return back home
- Information guide; Let’s Go Mozambique
- Informal feedback session
- Certificate (proof of participation)
Your project fee goes towards a company you can trust, an experience that is worthwhile and an opportunity that will make a positive and sustainable impact on the community/environment.
To find an overview of the costs, go to https://letsgoafrica.nl/marine-conservation-project-mozambique
Please email us at email@example.com for an exact cost calculation or if you have any other questions.
– Fully Self-funded, however we do encourage fundraising or crowdfunding
– Interns are also expected to take on more responsibility and to create their own goals
– Passionate and capable in your field
– Excellent teamwork and people skills
– Proactive and take initiative