GIANT LAND TORTOISE CONSERVATION VOLUNTEER PROJECT RODRIGUES
Our valued partner has over 15 years’ experience of facilitating students and volunteers all over Mauritius. Rodrigues is a very small, but intriguing island around 560km East of Mauritius. This is a conservation and ecotourism venture aiming at restoring the original lowland native forest of Rodrigues and the re-introduction of giant land tortoises. You can assist within tortoise husbandry, reforestation, administrative work of the Reserve, assist scientists with their field works, prepare talks for school children and recording of historical documents
Minimum length of stay
4 weeks till 12 weeks (extension is own responsibility)
Flexible, arrival preferably Friday otherwise Saturday
Number of people
Animals, Forestry, Marine Biology, Geography, Biology, Research, Zoology, Education, History, Palaeontology, Conservation, Ecology, Environmental, Nature studies.
Our valued partner has over 15 years’ experience of facilitating students and volunteers all over Mauritius. This is a conservation and ecotourism venture aiming at restoring the original lowland native forest of Rodrigues and the re-introduction of giant land tortoises. This project of ecosystem recreation is known as ‘re-wilding’. This is being done over an area of 20 hectares. The setting up of the project started in 2005 with the reforesting operation and the first visitors were welcomed in July 2007. Along with the ecotourism activity, the Reserve runs a museum depicting the human, natural and geological history of Rodrigues, a historical/archival documentation centre and a scientific laboratory. The 20 hectare Reserve has to date over 900 tortoises of two species; Aldabra Giant Tortoises and Radiata Tortoises. Since their introduction in the Reserve in 2007, hundreds of babies have hatched successful. The reforesting operation is an on-going activity particularly during the rainy seasons and so far some 115,000 endemic & indigenous plants have been planted in the Reserve.
The Reserve encourages research projects in the following fields: palaeontology, ecology, botany, tortoise biology and Karst sciences.
Role of the volunteer:
Aiming for skills transfer next to leaving behind materials and methods that can be used in terms of sustainability such as a research report. In general, your work will vary, depending on what is required at the time that you volunteer.
• Helping with tortoise husbandry – feeding, weighing and caring for tortoises.
• Helping with the management of the reforestation project – planting, weeding and seedlings monitoring.
• Helping with the administrative works and office duties of the Reserve.
• Assist scientists with their field works; – sieving of excavated materials, recording & photographing of bones
• As and when necessary, you may be asked to devise and prepare talks for school children.
• Helping with the recording of historical documents.
Supervision: at least Bachelor level; on request depending on field.
Working hours: usually Monday to Friday full-time, but can be discussed.
Workspace: at the nature reserve.
Let’s Go Africa volunteer packages include:
- Suitable project with project description according to all criteria
- Pre-departure introduction & safety meeting
- Visa application assistance + flight booking and transport advice
- Accommodation arrangements (options and costs described below)
- Airport pick up arrangements (fixed costs will be communicated prior to arrival)
- In-country introduction regarding country, project and your role
- Experienced and qualified supervisor and contact person constantly available
- Assistance with project placement contracts
- Support and guidance from the moment of registration until return back home
- Country information brochure
- Informal feedback session & LGA certificate (proof of participation)
Total LGA service package cost (one time amount)
Volunteer work between 4-12 weeks (extension is own responsibility): total package cost p.p. €750
Accommodation, flight and visa costs
* This project is recommended for approximately 4 weeks and then combine with Mauritius volunteer project because of the small size of Rodrigues and limited facilities.
Accommodation type: Self-catering private room in house close to the beach/reserve with shared facilities.
– Cost per week (paid locally): €190 including lunch during weekdays @ the reserve
– A deposit of 190 euro must be paid as warranty to cover any damages or outstanding payments
– Return Flight Mauritius – Rodrigues around €225 (Please note that this can fluctuate depending on the flight)
– Extra night in Mauritius or Rodrigues near the airport – per night € 20
– Visa Mauritius: Free of charge
Please email us at email@example.com for project options, an exact cost calculation or if you have any other questions.
– Passionate and capable in your field
– Respectful, social and solidarity are your values
– Serious and motivated to contribute to the local organization