ENVIRONMENTAL AND CONSERVATION PROJECT, ZANZIBAR
This project was created to promote education as a tool that can help conserve and enhance the earth’s biological diversity. The organization employs a unique combination of education, and communication strategies to achieve its goals. For example to promote the culture, environmental awareness and heritage of this beautiful country to help the poorest residents in developing the skills and resources they need to achieve a healthy lifestyle and sustainable livelihood.
Project duration: Ongoing
Minimum length of stay: 2 weeks, but preferably longer
Starting period: Flexible
Number of students: 1-10
Project fields: Education, Environmental studies, Geography, Ecology, Nature, Biology, Communication
Zanzibar Internship & Volunteer Organization (ZIVO) is created since 2007 by the shared ambition of a few local people to provide technical, educational, and hands-on volunteer support to grassroots community projects on the island of Zanzibar, Tanzania, to improve living conditions of its inhabitants. Services are provided to all people regardless of gender, age, tribe, ethnicity, disability or religion.
Problem statement: the local community has less education on environmental conservation.
Goal: to teach individuals and communities, in transitioning to a society that is knowledgeable of the environment and its associated problems, aware of the solutions to these problems, and motivated to solve them.
Role of the intern: engaging with local community, enhance their appreciation of the environment, resulting in positive environmental behavioral change. Aiming for skills transfer next to leaving behind materials and methods that can be used in terms of sustainability.
– Enable the local community members to think critically, ethically, and creatively
– Evaluating environmental issues
– Educating people
– Using efficient tools and methods
Supervisor: Available with Bachelor degree
Workspace for intern: at the schools and in the community
Swahili language course available ZIVO is currently in a close relationship with the State University of Zanzibar (SUZA). Hence, our volunteers will have the opportunity to visit the compounding of State University sharing different ideas related to the field of education. This will be facilitated by the collaboration between ZIVO and State University Student Union.
Let’s Go Africa intern/volunteer packages include:
- Suitable project with project description according to all criteria
- Pre-departure introduction & safety meeting
- Visa application (and extension) assistance + flight booking assistance
- Accommodation (arrangements only)
- Airport pick up from Zanzibar International Airport (Stone Town)
- In-country introduction regarding country, project and your role
- Daily transport from the guesthouse to the project and back
- Experienced and qualified supervisor and contact person constantly available
- Interaction with local community and experiencing the local culture
- Support and guidance from the moment of registration until return back home
- Country information brochure
- Informal feedback session
- Certificate (proof of participation)
Total package cost
€400 – €525 (depending on Volunteer work/Minor/Internship and length of stay)
The one time amount for Let’s Go Africa service packages are stated above.
Please see accommodation price below for your duration of stay.
Included in the accommodation price for all ZIVO projects:
- Accommodation in an international volunteer guesthouse with WIFI
- Project partner donation ($150-$200 per month) for community development NGO
- Daily breakfast, lunch & dinner (Monday – Friday) prepared by cooking lady at guesthouse with certain type of meals on request
- Daily cleaning of the house and washing machine
- Daily attendance of ZIVO staff member for any assistance
- Drinking water
- Utility costs like water, electricity and gas
Length of stay in Zanzibar
Total price p.p. at Guesthouse + meals Single room or in double room sharing (in Euro’s)
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for project options, an exact cost calculation or if you have any other questions.
– Fully Self-funded, however we do encourage fundraising or crowdfunding
– Passionate and capable in your field
– Flexible and socially strong
– Friendly and active
– Good Communication skills