ANIMAL CARE AND BIOLOGY PROJECT, ZANZIBAR
The program is designed to study the origins, behavior, diseases, genetics, and life processes of animals such as (sea) turtles, non-poisonous snakes and fish at a wildlife animal farm. Next to preserving the project you will also do environmental conservation activities. Aiming for skills transfer next to leaving behind materials and methods that can be used in terms of sustainability.
Project duration: Ongoing
Minimum length of stay: 2 weeks, but preferably longer
Starting period: Flexible
Number of students: 1-4
Project fields: Animals, Biology, Marine Biology, Conservation, Ecology, Zoology, Wildlife sciences, Environmental and Nature studies.
Zanzibar Internship & Volunteer Organization (ZIVO) is created since 2007 by the shared ambition of a few local people to provide technical, educational, and hands-on volunteer support to grassroots community projects on the island of Zanzibar, Tanzania, to improve living conditions of its inhabitants including the local animals.
Problem statement: growing disturbance of people in natural environment
Goal: studying animals, researching and management, including the collection and analysis of biological data to determine the environmental effects of present and potential use of land and water areas.
Role of the intern:
– Analyze characteristics of animals to identify origin, interrelationships, classification, life histories and diseases, development, genetics and distribution. – Organize and conduct responsible experimental studies with live animals in controlled or natural surroundings.
– Feeding the animals; such as (sea) turtles, non-poisonous snakes and fish.
– Disseminate information by writing reports and scientific papers or journal articles and by creating presentations and giving talks for schools, clubs, interest groups and park interpretive programs
– Preserving the environment i.e. firms and water
Supervisor: Available with Bachelor degree (Specific fields on request)
Workspace for intern: at the Animal Farm Swahili language course available
Let’s Go Africa intern/volunteer packages include:
- Suitable project with project description according to all criteria
- Pre-departure introduction & safety meeting
- Visa application (and extension) assistance + flight booking assistance
- Accommodation (arrangements only)
- Airport pick up from Zanzibar International Airport (Stone Town)
- In-country introduction regarding country, project and your role
- Daily transport to the project from the guesthouse and back
- Experienced and qualified supervisor and contact person constantly available
- Interaction with local community and experiencing the local culture
- Support and guidance from the moment of registration until return back home
- Country information brochure
- Informal feedback session
- Certificate (proof of participation)
Total package cost
€400 – €525 (depending on Volunteer work/Minor/Internship and length of stay)
The one time amount for Let’s Go Africa service packages are stated above.
Please see accommodation price below for your duration of stay.
Included in the accommodation price for all ZIVO projects:
- Accommodation in an international volunteer guesthouse with WIFI
- Project partner donation ($150-$200 per month) for community development NGO
- Daily breakfast, lunch & dinner (Monday – Friday) prepared by cooking lady at guesthouse with certain type of meals on request
- Daily cleaning of the house and washing machine
- Daily attendance of ZIVO staff member for any assistance
- Drinking water
- Utility costs like water, electricity and gas
Length of stay in Zanzibar Total price p.p. at Guesthouse + meals
Single room (in Euro’s) or in double room sharing:
– Fully Self-funded, however we do encourage fundraising or crowdfunding
– Capable in your field (preferably some experience working with animals)
– Reliable and punctual
– Caring and compassionate nature
– Excellent teamwork and people skills
– Proactive and take initiative